New Light Boy's Home, Khela-Ghar, is a part of New Light's efforts to provide young boys of women who are in prostitution, the opportunity to grow up in a safe and secure environment and realize their full potential. The boy's home will help remove the male children from the violence filled environment of Kalighat, primarily, where they are exposed to crimes and other socially undesirable practices.
The Home will provide safe shelter, formal and remedial education, counselling, comprehensive healthcare, nutritious meals, therapeutic, creative and recreational opportunities to the male children, aged between 4 to 18 years of prostitution workers. These services are imperative to ensure their physical safety, and provide them the opportunity to realize their full human potential.
The Home's aim is to bring and retain as many children and young adults as possible into the mainstream by providing formal education; job oriented training and different vocational activities so that they can choose a life with dignity.
- Decrease exposure to violence and sexual exploitation and future abuse
- Decrease the probability of young boys entering pimping and the sex trade,
- Prevent drug addiction, mental health problems such as depression, post traumatic stress
- Increase school attendance and higher academic achievement
- Promote children's physical and mental well being
- Raise young male adults as responsible and caring individuals